Self-installation guide for EAS Shopify App
Release version 2.1 14.04.2023
Table of content
EAS app installation. 3
Setting up EU shipping methods and rates. 9
Setting up Markets for EU zone. 11
Setting up the EU taxes. 12
1. Document intended use
This document is intended for self-installation and initial setup of Shopify e-commerce stores with Basic Shopify, Shopify, Advanced Shopify and Shopify + plans. This guide does not provide full and extensive description of taxes and duties in Markets and Shipping settings. There are a number of options and modes that should be considered and applied before full VAT compliance is attained.
Due to the concise and limited content of this guide we do not claim to provide a full work order for setting up your store.
This Guide follows the standard integration process of the EAS application. Full EAS application configuration can only be done by trained EAS staff.
The best solution for ensuring that your store is fully VAT compliant is to request supported installation. EAS staff will be happy to help you with application installation and setting up your store.
2. Prerequisites for VAT compliance
We provide the main prerequisites for your store compliance. There are multiple workarounds and solutions for specific circumstances, but such situations should be addressed separately with consultation from EAS staff.
Do contact EAS if:
- You have non-taxable items in your store;
- You are not sure what pricing model (inclusive/exclusive/dynamic) you need for sales to EU/UK;
- You intend to sell books, children’s clothing, food;
- You sell downloadable products to EU/UK;
- You need to use simultaneously more than one special scheme (IOSS/Union OSS/Non-Union OSS);
- You want to use DDP (delivery duty paid) to EU/UK;
- You use print-on-demand services such as Printful or Printify;
- You are not an EU established company and have VAT registration in any EU country;
- You can be considered as online marketplace, i.e., you sell merchandise provided by your underlying suppliers
3. EAS application installation
The first step to be fully VAT compliant when you sell to EU countries and the UK is to install the EAS EU and UK application.
Follow the following steps to install EAS application from Shopify apps store:
- Go to your stores administrative view, choose “Apps” and enter “EAS EU” in the search window and press enter:
2. You will be diverted to the Shopify app store. Find EAS EU & UK compliance:
3. Click on the EAS App -icon and you will be shown EAS application page. Press “Add app”:
4. When you are back in your store, click “Install app”.
5. You will be redirected to the main page of the EAS application:
6. At this stage retrieve and use your EAS application keys to connect your store with EAS.
Access EAS dashboard to retrieve application keys. By the time you started the installation you should have received your access credentials to the EAS dashboard.
If you have not registered with EAS, please go to https://easproject.com/reg. On completion of registration you will be provided with access to the EAS dashboard.
If you have registered but have not received/do not have your access credentials, please contact EAS at email@example.com. We will send a new link to the e-mail registered by you as contact e-mail during registration with EAS
With your credentials go to https://dashboard.easproject.com/sign-in.
7. Fill in your login and password and Sign in.
8. Choose your store from the drop-down menu and click Go to Portal.
9. In the upper right corner of the dashboard click “PM” and then “Profile”:
10. Copy the public API Key and API Secret (key):
To retrieve the API Secret key you need to input you dashboard access credentials again and press “Authorise”:
11. Perform the following actions:
- Enter correct value in the URL box: (https://manager.easproject.com/api).
- Copy key values from the dashboard and paste them into Authorization tab in EAS app previously opened.
- Tick “Use standard solution” box.
- Tick “Immediately process paid orders” box.
12. Having done this click “Enable” and “Save” buttons
EAS EU &UK VAT compliance application is now connected to your store.
4. Setting up EU shipping zone and rates
The guide is for basic configuration. There are multiple ways of setting EU shipping rates. The eventual application may depend on existing settings.
To set up EU as shipping zone, do the following:
1. n all your shipping profiles (one by one), click Settings → Shipping and delivery → Manage (under Shipping tab).
2. Scroll down and press Create new shipping zone.
3. Assign a name to the shipping zone and add the 27 EU countries manually from the dropdown list. Do not choose “Europe” as the bulk list –“ Europe” list contains countries and territories that are not part of EU You can use this link for reference: https://european-union.europa.eu/principles-countries-history/country-profiles_en.
4. After adding the 27 countries, press “Done” and then set up the rates for newly created EU zone.
Rates are to be set either as manual or dynamic, provided you have applications that can render dynamic shipping rates. Process also depend on your Shopify plan
5. Press “Save” in the upper right corner.
Now you have just created EU zone for one shipping profile. Repeat the process if you have multiple profiles.
Note that Shopify’s Europe zone contains other counties and territories which are not part of EU.
One can also watch the shipping zone/rate setting up process here: https://youtu.be/5RHOch390ew
5. Setting up Markets for EU zone
Markets is a relatively new and a very important functionality in Shopify that allows greater flexibility for taxation and pricing in different zones.
Only basic description is provided. There are multiple ways of setting Markets. Eventual application depends on existing settings.
Both the shipping zone/rate and the Market should be available for EU countries to ensure that the customer can checkout to these countries.
To set up Markets for EU zone, do the following:
1. Click Settings → Markets → Add Market.
2. Assign a name to the Market and add only the 27 EU countries. They have to be added manually as for the EU Shipping zone
3. After adding the 27 countries, press “Done” and then “Save” in the upper right corner.
Now you have created EU countries Market. If you do not want to have any other detailed settings for EU markets (sales in local currencies, increased/decreased prices, fixed prices) you may skip this part and leave the EU countries in the “International” Market
Alternatively, here is the link for video guide: https://youtu.be/tF0G1C2lazA
6. Setting up the EU taxes
Only basic description is provided. There are multiple ways and variations to set taxes options. Eventual application depends on existing settings.
To set up Taxes for EU countries when delivering from outside of EU, do the following:
1. Click Settings → Taxes and Duties → Search for Europe → Select European Union.
2. Look up for Shipping to the EU section and click Collect VAT
Ensure that you understand which special scheme you are to use. We provide further only the description of your store setting up for IOSS. Setting Union OSS scheme will require different actions.
3. Select the country where you have registered for IOSS scheme and insert your IOSS number. Your IOSS number is provided to you by request from EAS support team and only to the registered e-mail address. Ensure proper handling of your IOSS number.
Always input IOSS number starting with IM prefix. The overall length of the IOSS number is 12 positions
3. Click Collect VAT.
Now you just added IOSS registration to your store.
One more important setting that must be enabled is “Include or exclude tax based on your customer’s country”.
Go to Settings → Taxes and Duties → scroll down and find Include or exclude tax based on your customer’s country option → Click Go to Markets preferences → After redirection find the same setting and enable it → Press Save.
Now the setting is complete, and you are not collecting taxes for order above 150€. This is needed in order to avoid customs procedures and let EU customer pay taxes and duties only once at the boarder by themselves.
Starting from now on, all orders under 150€ fulfilled from outside of EU countries will be considered and calculated as IOSS orders.
Link for Tax setting video: https://youtu.be/sQqa3ALyX2g
Feel free to contact EAS for video support during self-installation. You can schedule a call by the link: Meeting with EAS (hubspot.com)
Please state the reason for the meeting “Self-installation support”